Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Welcome to Mr. Meyer's 5th Grade 2007-2008 Class Wiki
Meyer Island 9 Blogs
Meyer Class Web page
Mr. Smith's class
1001 Wiki Tales 2008
2008 Tech Camp
The Lightning Thief
1001 Tales page
'07 Animal Reports Home
'07 Balow Reports
'07 Meyer Reports
English help page
Extra Credit Idioms
Meaning: To call it a day- to stop work for the day; to bring a project to an end for the time being.
English Help WIKI page
Run- On Sentences
A run- on sentence is a error which two sentences are joined without punctuation or a connecting word such as yet, so, for, nor, or, but, or and.
Run- On Sentence:
There are many wonderful games my favorite is,"Sorry."
There are many great games, but my favorite is,"Sorry."
How to Correct a Run- On Sentence
To correct a run- on sentence you can put in a period and then, capitalize the next word. You can also put a comma and a connecting word in [words above].
Here Is Some Practice
Directions: I you think that it is a run on sentence go down on this page to see if you are correct, same thing if you think it is a sentence. Key: S= correct sentence RO= run- on sentence
Practice The Skill
to play basketball when I grow up I want to play for Michigan State.
I love hockey I hate football.
I play hockey I play hockey for a team called the Eagles.
My favorite team is the Spartans.
My second favorite team is the Wolverines my favorite team in the NFL is the Colts.
My sister loves to dance.
My sister's favorite dance is jazz- acro her least favorite dance is ballet.
Trees can make paper paper is very useful.
You probably do not realize how much paper you use each day I know I use a lot each day.
Do you have a lot of friends I have found out in my life so far that if you are nice to people they are nice to you back and most of the time you become friends with them.
Now that you know how to break up run- on sentences and now that you know the difference between a real sentence and a run- on sentence. I want you to use this skill when you are writing!
A comma Splice is an error in which two sentences are incorrectly joined with a comma. An end punctuation mark, a semicolon, or a comma
a connecting word should be used between two sentences. You can use words such as: and, but, or, nor, for, so, or yet.
Write CS if the sentence is a Comma Splice and S if it is a normal sentence.
Example Of Comma Splice
Julie likes to write poems sometimes she wins prizes for her poem.
Example of Fixed Sentence
Julie won over 15 awards.
Practice The Skill
Eric Carl has written many books so has Judy Blume.
Butterflies are very colorful they have wings.
3. Macee has been to China she saw the Great Wall of China
Natalie has to do homework for a hour after school.
Samantha has basketball practice after school for a hour, she has to do her homework.
Dolphins are the easiest, smartest,and nicest animals in the world.
Sally thinks that monkeys are cute, Sue thinks that they are ugly.
Trent and Morgan's favorite team is Michigan, the rest of the class likes State.
1. CS and a , and after books before so, or .So has Judy Blume.
2. CS and a , and after colorful.
3. CS and a , and after China.
5. CS after the , their is a and in their.
7. CS and but after the comma.
8. CS and but after the comma.
Now that you know what a Comma Splice and how to correct them I hope that you use them in your life!
1. one day a girl named sophie was playing at a friends house, she wanted to play house and she wanted to be the mom2. then sophie woke up she was realy dreaming that day sophie want to go and swim on the lake3. sophie wanted to invite some freinds with her and there names were sally and christy and lola and jenna 4. when sophie called hers freinds to cum over 3 of the 4 freinds said yes5. sophie had christy and lola and jenna come over
1. One day, a girl named Sophie was playing at a friend's house. She wanted to play house, and she wanted to be the mom.2. Then Sophie woke up. She was really dreaming. That day Sophie wanted go swim in the lake.3. Sophie wanted to invite some friends with her and their names were, Sally, Christy, Lola, and Jenna.4. When Sophie called her friends to come over, three of the four said yes.5. Sophie had Christy, Lola, and Jenna come over.
artifactrecreation (1) by meyerisland.
artifactrecreation by meyerisland.
* A hyphen is used to divide a word at the end of a line. It is also used to form compound words and to write fractions. In addition, a hyphen is used to join the words in compound numbers from twenty-one to ninety-nine, to join letters and words, and so on.* A hyphen is used to divide a word when you run out of room at the end of the line. A word may be divided only between syllables. Here are some additional guidelines. Never divide a one syllable word: would, large, etc.Try not to divide a word of five or fewer letters: older, habit, etc.Never divide a one-letter syllable from the rest of the word: apart-ment not a-partment Never divide abbreviations or contractions: Mrs., Dr., don't, haven't, etc. * A hyphen is used to make some compound wordsex. on-line file search* A hyphen is used between the numbers in a fraction that is written as a word.ex. one-half [1/2]* A hyphen is often used to join a letter to a word.ex. T-shirt* A hyphen is used to form new words beginning with the prefixes
all, self, great, etc
A hyphen is also used with suffixes such as
ex. all-around student * Use a hyphen to join two or more words that work together to form a single adjective.ex. voice-recognition software
Practice the Skill!
Write "yes" if it doesn't need a hyphen. Write "no" if it is not correct and it
need a hyphen then, correct it. Correct it if the hyphen needs to be put to a different space. That would be counted as a "no"
1 -------------- 14 year old computer hacker 2 -------------- five tenths-3 -------------- on screen-directions 4 -------------- self respect 5 ------------- self-cleaning oven6 ------------ ex-hero7 ----------- e mail8 ---------- all knowing-teacher9 --------- great grandmother10 ---------- president-elect11 ---------- u turn12 ----------- x ray-13 ---------- smoke-free14 --------- lie 15 -------- would
1 no 14-year-old computer hacker2 no five-tenths3 no on-screen directions4 no self-respect 5 yes6 yes7 no e-mail8 no all-knowing teacher9 no great-grandmother 10 yes11 no u-turn12 x-ray13 yes14 yes15 yes
MI9 IC2 balancebeam (5) by meyerisland.
PQR peer editing (7) by meyerisland.
When to Use a Colon: When you are introducing a list, In a business letter, To introduce a Quotation, and Between numbers in time.Ex.We went on a picnic and brought: A loaf of bread, ham, turkey, and Cheddar cheese. Ex: President Lincoln made a statement in his Emancipation Proclamation:"On the 1st day of January, A.D.1863, all persons held as slaves... shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free."Ex. Dear Mr. Meyer:Ex. 7:00 am. 1:30pm.
Practice the skill
Dear Mrs. Massie I went on a plane and brought two suit cases, a duffel bag, and a backpack.I left my house at 700 am. and came back at 900 pm. ! My mom was mad she said "Get in your bed missy and don't get out again."
Dear Mrs. Massie: I went on a plane and brought:Two suit cases, a duffel bag, and a backpack.
I left my house at 7:00 am 9:00.pm.
My mom was mad she said: "Get in your bed missy and don't get out again."
Correct the paragraphs in your head and then go down to the answer key [below] and see if you are correct!
Now Try It!
1. the first day of school a bizarre new teacher appeared at laingsburg elementary school in laingsburg michigan
2. she was dressed all in chartreuse from her hair ribbon to her pointed shoes and she was very ugly3. this bizarre teachers nose stuck way out on her plain face and her chin pointed at the floor like a witches chin4. her white hair hung limply down to her hunched shoulders and it looked greasy5. the teacher spindly arms and legs were so skinny that she looked like a live walking stick with her long nose as the handle6. she was in fact the ugliest teacher the students had ever beheld
There are always at least three corrections!
he first day of school a bizarre new teacher appeared at
he was dressed all in chartreuse from her hair ribbon to her pointed shoes and she was very ugly
his bizarre teachers nose stuck way out on her plain face
and her chin pointed at the floor
like a witches chin
er white hair hung limply down to her hunched shoulders and it looked greasy
he teacher spindly arms and legs were so skinny that she looked like a live walking stick
with her long nose as the handle
he was in fact the ugliest teacher the students had ever beheld
Here is a NEW story do the same thing with this story only instead of showing you the corrects I am going to tell you at the end of the sentence how many corrections there are in purple!
1.i want you to come over on friday said makala okay i will ask my parents if i can come over to your house on friday said alyssa
2.i asked my parents if i could come over and they said no but i begged them and they finally gave in but i have to clean my room on friday said alyssa
3.when you come over to my house what do you want to do asked makala. i want to play a game replied alyssa that sounds fun to me too. said makala
4.what game do you want to play asked makala i dont know how about i can look at your games when i get to your house answered alyssa
5.when alyssa got to makalas house makalas mom was ready for them with chocolate chip cookies. yum i love cookies may i have one asked alyssa
6.after they ate cookies they went up stairs to look for games to play. wow you have alot of games said alyssa
7.we can play any game in my room one of my favorite is Sorry if you want to we can play more than one game too said makala
8.i want to play Sorry and Life what do you want to play asked alyssa i would like to play Guess Who and Clue said makala
9.okay what game do you want to play first asked alyssa i want to play either Guess Who or Sorry first you can choose which one to play out of those two said makala
10.out of those two i want to play Sorry first replied alyssa okay lets go down stairs and play in the living room said makala
Correct this diary entry
today i wented too the park and i had alot of fun and i plays with me freind. Im goin to play at the park tommorow i also wants to go plays with me mom at the park.
If you get stuck, just look below, because there are the answers!
Make Sure to try your best and not look at the answers!
1. maddie was friends with sue becuase she was a new kid and she didnt have any friends.
to play at the park
mom at the park.
Today I went ovver to sues house. We playyed inside bacuase it was rainning. Tomorrow lindsey is going to come over to my house.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"